Boris Johnson news – live: PM’s ex-spin chief apologises for No 10 party on eve of Prince Philip’s funeral

RELATED VIDEO: Security Minister says ‘action can be taken’ if parties take place tonight before Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral

Boris Johnson’s former communications director, James Slack, apologized “unreservedly” for a party at No. 10 last April marking his departure from Downing Street, saying “it shouldn’t have happened by the time it happened”.

come next Daily Telegraph It reported that two events were held on the evening of Friday 16 April 2021 – when England was undergoing Step 2 of Covid restrictions, which banned indoor mixing and restricted the number of funerals and weddings, and on the evening before Prince Philip’s funeral which saw the Queen seated alone and wearing a face mask at a remote party socially attainable.

And in a statement issued Friday morning by News UK, Mr Slack said: “I am deeply sorry, and I take full responsibility.”

Calls for Boris Johnson’s resignation have intensified since news emerged last night about the Slack party, as well as another unconfirmed departure of the prime minister’s photographer who was said to have been detained the same night. Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey demanded “[Mr] Johnson must go,” while Labor deputy leader Angela Rayner said she “has no words for culture and behavior ranked 10th”.

1642148131

Minister says ‘action can be taken’ against those who have broken Covid rules

Security Secretary Damian Hinds this morning refused to be questioned about whether Boris Johnson should be held responsible for the reported parties held at No. 10 the night before Prince Philip’s burial.

However, he said that if the reports are true, action can be “taken” against those who break the rules.

It remains to be seen whether the prime minister will be blamed on the parties taking place in his home, despite allegations that he was not present at either.

Sam HancockJanuary 14, 2022 08:15

1642147225

BREAKING: Former PM’s spokesperson apologizes for No 10 . concert

James Slack, Boris Johnson’s former communications director, said he wanted to “apologise unreservedly for the outrage and hurt he caused” at a party marking his departure from Downing Street in April 2021.

It comes after reports that two events took place on the evening of Friday 16 April last year – when England was under Step 2 of Covid restrictions, which banned indoor mixing and restricted the number of funerals and weddings, and took place the evening before Prince Philip. funeral.

In a statement issued Friday morning by the sunPublisher, News UK, Mr. Slack said: “I would like to apologize unreservedly for the outrage and the hurt I have caused. This event should not have happened at the time it did. I am deeply sorry, and I take full responsibility.”

Our political reporter Ashley Cowburn Reports:

Sam HancockJanuary 14, 2022 08:00

1642146964

Liberal Democrats and Labor renew calls for Johnson to resign

Sir Ed Davy, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, says the prime minister “must go” after news of parties on the eve of Prince Philip’s funeral.

Meanwhile, Labor Deputy Leader Angela Rayner said she “has no words for culture and behaviors number one, and the responsibility rests with the prime minister”.

Both also took the time to remind people of the photos of the Queen “sitting alone in mourning” at her husband’s funeral, in order to adhere to social distancing rules. “The Queen sitting alone, mourning the loss of her husband, was the defining image of the closure. Not because she was the Queen, but because she was just another person, grieving alone like so many others,” Sir Ed wrote.

Sam HancockJan 14 2022 07:56

1642146422

The Prime Minister’s staff held two parties at ten o’clock at night before the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh

Downing Street staff attended two separate parties the evening before Prince Philip’s funeral amid strict Covid rules that have left the Queen sitting alone as she bid farewell to her husband of 73 years, it was alleged.

Daily Telegraph It reported that two events were held on the evening of Friday, April 16, 2021 – when the country was undergoing Step 2 of the coronavirus restrictions that prohibited indoor mixing. It was said that both events would leave the ceremony to staff working on the Prime Minister’s internal team. One was reportedly held for James Slack, then Boris Johnson’s director of communications, and the other for the Prime Minister’s personal photographer.

Witnesses said telegraph That “excessive alcohol” was drunk, the attendees danced to the tunes of a DJ by a special advisor, and the gatherings continued after midnight. The newspaper also reported that the festivities were initially held separately before merging later in the evening. It is alleged that about 30 people were present in both parties.

Tom Batchelor He has the full report:

Sam HancockJan 14 2022 07:47

1642146301

good morning

Welcome to independentRolling policy coverage.

Don’t be alarmed as we bring you the latest fallout from Boris Johnson amid fresh allegations of No10 concerts to bustle the Covid virus, this time said to take place on the eve of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral last year.

Sam HancockJan 14 2022 07:45

Leave a Comment