Cambridge shock Newcastle as Kidderminster conquer Reading in FA Cup third round

Sky Bet League One Cambridge scored a surprising 1-0 win over Newcastle to book their place in the FA Cup fourth round.

Newcastle, who are fighting to stay in the Premier League, thought they had advanced through Jacob Murphy, but the goal was disallowed due to offside.

Cambridge smashed the equalizer in the 56th minute when Joe Ironside turned into a crowded penalty area to shove the ball into the net – with the goal scored after a lengthy VAR review.

Vanarama National League champion Boreham Wood will enter the fourth round draw after their 2-0 home win over the Asian Championships Wimbledon.

Tyrone Marsh gave Boreham Wood an early lead with a powerful shot and substitute Adrian Clifton, who had just arrived, scored an unforgettable victory with four minutes remaining.

Earlier, Matty Pearson’s late header saw Huddersfield’s late-in-the-league players knock Burnley out of the Premier League with a 2-1 win at Turf Moor.

Josh Koroma (74) canceled Jay Rodriguez’s first-half goal in favor of relegation-threatened Clarets.

Pearson then nodded just four minutes before the end of the game, sending the Terriers into the fourth round for the first time since 2018.

The National League North Kidderminster came from behind to beat Championship side Reading 2-1 at Ajjborough Stadium.

George Puskas had given the royals the lead shortly before the break, but captain Sam Austin (69) was in the non-league level before Amari Morgan Smith (82) smashed the late winner.

Crystal Palace coach Patrick Vieira (centre) saw his team come from behind to beat Dunn (John Walton/PA)

(PA wire)

Crystal Palace recovered from a spell from goalkeeper Jack Butland to win 2-1 at Millwall.

Bennik Afobe put the lions ahead early on after the former England international Butland was caught trying to play from the six-yard area.

Michael Ulis scored a good single goal to equalize within one minute of the start of the second half, and Jean-Philippe Mateta (58) headed his net, which proved to be the winner in a fiery confrontation in Den.

Young Joe Gray came off the bench to score the League Two winner, as Hartlepool battled to a 2-1 win over Blackpool at Victoria Park.

Keshi Anderson (eight) put the visitors ahead early on, but Hartlepool reclaimed the equaliser shortly after the start of the second half with a skewed effort from David Ferguson before ending Gray’s low an hour later with a memorable win.

Defending champion Leicester beat Watford 4-1 at King Power Stadium.

Yuri Tillmans – whose goal beat Chelsea at Wembley in last year’s final – put the Foxes in their way with an early penalty, before James Madison (25) doubled the lead.

Although Joao Pedro (26) quickly narrowed the difference to the relegation-threatened Hornets striker, second-half goals from Harvey Barnes (56) and captain Mark Albrighton (85) secured a comfortable win – after a short delay after the stadium lights went out.

Substitute Brian Mbiomo came off the bench to score a hat-trick in the second half as Brentford won 4-1 at Port Vale.

Marcus Force (26) put the bees in front while Mbiomo added (66) seconds shortly after his coming.

Although Kean Harat (70) slipped away with a goal by Phil, Mbiomo made it 3-1 14 minutes from the end of the game before hitting the penalty kick in the late net.

Saturday’s early game saw Middlesbrough beat second-tier Mansfield 3-2 with an own goal in stoppage time.

Uchi Ekpiazu (four) and Kaulan Boyd-Monsey (14) appeared to dominate Buru, but the visiting team was reduced to 10 men in the 33rd minute after defender Sol Bamba red card.

Ole Hawkins (67) and Reece Oates (85) grabbed the Stags level – only for Borough to snatch the late winner when John-Joe O’Toole turned the ball into his net.

Fulham eventually won 1-0 at Bristol City with an extra-time goal from Harry Wilson, while Coventry – the 1987 FA Cup winner – beat the derby 1-0 after Dom Hiam’s header in the first half.

Wigan beat Blackburn, who was seeking promotion to the championship, 3-2 with Thelo Asgard victory in stoppage time directly after Daniel Ayala’s header, which seemed to send the equalizer into overtime.

Peterborough beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 at Weston Homes, where loaned Norwich defender Pale Mumba scored on his debut.

Carlton Morris (right) scored twice at O’Quil (Isaac Barkin/PA)

(PA wire)

Barnsley finally beat Barrow Second League 5-4 after overtime.

An all-out match, which saw Barrow’s Tom Bidling sent off just before halftime, appeared to be decided by Carlton Morris’ shot in the 88th minute – only for Josh Kay to tie the score 4-4.

Morris, though, eventually scored what proved to be the 102-minute winner of the clock.

Brighton came from behind to defeat West Brom 2-1 after extra time.

Callum Robinson (47) gave the Pages the lead in Hawthorn before defender Cedric Keeper (69) was sent off for two quick yellow cards.

Jacob Moder equalized nine minutes from the end, and Neil Maupai (98) fired in the first half of overtime to send in the seagulls.

Queens Park Rangers avoided a surprise when they beat Premier League leaders Rotherham 8-7 on penalties, as goalkeeper Jordan Archer saved two penalties from the penalty shootout.

After 90 minutes without goals, Michael Ikoy (98) put Millers ahead, but the equalizer from Lyndon Dykes (115) sent the equalizer to the penalty shootout.

In the evening round of matches, Everton escaped a surprise against Hull City after a brilliant shot from Andros Townsend secured a 3-2 victory after extra time.

The Toffees were behind in the first minute and then, after a fight through Demaria Gray and Andre Gomes, squandered their lead when Ryan Longman scored a fine curling shot.

Southampton also almost stumbled after being dragged into extra time by Swansea City. After Nathan Redmond’s early goal, Jean Valéry received a second yellow card after just 30 minutes leaving the Saints behind.

Swansea equalized after 70 minutes through Joel Perroy, before a quick exchange of goals in the first half of extra time and left the match vacillating until Mohamed Al-Younoussi secured a place for the saints in the fourth round.

Plymouth pulled off a late surprise against Birmingham City in extra time as well after a superb Ryan James Law goal while there was no such difficulty for Bournemouth who cleared Joville 3-1 within 90 minutes to wrap up an exciting day.

Leave a Comment