FA Cup third round: Giant-killings galore as Cambridge United, Kidderminster and Boreham Wood reach round four | Football News

Joe Ironside was the hero, as third-tier side Cambridge United stunned Newcastle the Premier League with a 1-0 victory at St James’ Park – and the USA were not alone in producing the cup in Saturday’s third round.

Kidderminster 2-1 reading

Fans celebrate with Amary Morgan Smith of Kidderminster Harriers after their win over Reading

Amari Morgan Smith was the late Kidderminster champion as he threw Reading out with a shock 2-1 victory.

The Northern National League team – the lowest-ranked club on the left, 79th fewer than its visitors in the tournament – came from behind to stun the Royals with the tight score.

Jorge Puskas’s first nine-month goal gave Reading the lead before Sam Austin equalized after the first half, and Morgan Smith shook off eight minutes left to score the winning goal in the third round.

Kidderminster Harriers & # 39;  Sam Austin celebrates after scoring his team's first goal of the match to make it 1-1
Kidderminster’s Sam Austin celebrates after scoring his team’s first goal of the match to make it 1-1

The defeat added to the pressure on Royals coach Veliko Paunovic as injuries and spinning kicked off Reading with six players aged 21 or younger.

Boreham Wood 2-0 Wimbledon

Tyrone Marsh and Adrian Clifton have pushed National League side Boreham Wood into the FA Cup fourth round for the first time in their history.

Boreham Wood & # 39;  s Tyrone Marsh (right) celebrates scoring his team's first goal of the match
Tyrone Marsh of Boreham Wood (right) celebrates scoring his team’s first goal of the match

Marsh’s superb first-half strike and Clifton’s late goal, moments after coming off the bench, secured a 2-0 win and one of the third-round shocks against Wimbledon in the AFC Championship.

The Dons, whose previous incarnation caused probably the biggest upset of them all when they beat Liverpool in the 1988 final, for once found themselves on the wrong end of a cup upset.

It was an unforgettable afternoon for Wood and their manager Luke Garrard, who had over 100 appearances for Wimbledon as a player and helped them both with two promotions, ending up kicking his old club out of the competition.

Boreham Wood, Adrian Clifton (right) celebrates scoring his team's second goal in the match with teammate Jamal Fifield
Boreham Wood’s Adrian Clifton (right) celebrates scoring his team’s second goal in the match with teammate Jamal Fifield

Hartlepool 2-1 Blackpool

Eighteen-year-old Joe Gray came off the bench to lead Hartlepool from League One to the FA Cup fourth round for the first time since 2009.

Gray fired the winning goal in the 61st minute to complete a thrilling second-half comeback and defeat Blackpool, who advanced through Keshy Anderson’s opener.

Gavan Holohan and Tom Crawford of Hartlepool United celebrate their victory over Blackpool in the FA Cup third round.
Gavan Holohan and Tom Crawford of Hartlepool United celebrate their victory over Blackpool in the FA Cup third round.

David Ferguson regained Hartlepool level three minutes into the first half before Gray, who had replaced Mark Cullen moments earlier, kept his nerve to defeat Daniel Grimshaw and score only his second goal.

The star-studded visitors were left with regrets over a string of missed opportunities in a wholly dominant first half, as well as the injury of top scorers Anderson and James Zug, who both exited the game before the break.

Wigan 3-2 Blackburn

Thelo Aasgaard celebrates his late winner Wigan
Thelo Aasgaard celebrates his late winner Wigan

Substitute Thelo Asgard scored the winning goal in stoppage time to seal the rematch of the FA Cup third round of five against Blackburn at DW.

Rovers pushed their divisional supremacy within four minutes of the start of the second half. Joe Rothwell fed Khadra, who shot into the bottom corner of Jones’ net to open the scoring.

But with another Rovers goal looking inevitable, Wigan equalized just after the hour as Max Power fired Jamal from long distance past Ainsley Bears at Rovers.

Amazingly, Wigan started to dominate, putting them ahead for the first time, 16 minutes after the end. Jack Whatmough’s header from a corner kick seemed routine enough for Beers to tackle, but the goalkeeper somehow managed to catch the ball and then carry it over the goal line to score a comical goal.

WIGAN, ENGLAND - JANUARY 8: Frustrated Blackburn Rovers players during the UAE FA Cup third round match between Wigan Athletic and Blackburn Rovers at the DW Stadium on January 8, 2022 in Wigan, England.  (Photo by Dave Howarth - CameraSport via Getty Images)
Blackburn Rovers stand depressed as Wigan late show

There was still plenty of time for a winning goal to settle a fine game when Wigan substitute Asgard sent, in injury time, a curling left-wing left-winger that completely defrauded the Bears and found the top corner of the net to outrun the Latex. Fourth round.

Barnsley 5-4 Barrow

Barnsley reached the fourth round after beating 10-man Barrow in 9 goals in overtime

Barnsley was forced into overtime by a 10-man Barrow but eventually secured a 5-4 win over O’Quil in one of the most stunning FA Cup matches seen in recent years.

Barnsley opened the scoring in the 23rd minute after Callum Styles fired a superb free kick and captain Mads Andersen jumped high to head home past Barrow’s number one.

Finding an equaliser became much more difficult when Barrow striker Tom Delling was sent off for a massive challenge on Rumal Palmer after 38 minutes, and things went from bad to worse for the fourth-tier side after 42 minutes when Jordan Williams fouled on his first attempt. But he made no mistake from a second to give Tykes a comfortable lead in the first half.

Barrow’s Olly Banks then scored the contender’s goal of the round in the 61st minute with a resounding free kick from Barrow’s captain to cut the difference before the first equalizer of the night came after 78 minutes when substitute Luke James found starter Anthony Glennon in the box and the debutant finished confidently to make it 2-2.

Anthony Driscoll Glennon
Anthony Driscoll-Glennon sparked late drama at O’Quwell with Barrow’s first equalizer

Barrow’s delight was short-lived as striker Devante Cole curled from distance after 83 minutes to give the Tikes the advantage again, but the Bluebirds refused to defeat and three minutes later, James Jones met with a cross from Remio Hutton. Walton to settle scores again.

Substitute Carlton Morris must have thought he had won the title for Barnsley when he scored in the 88th minute, but incredibly, Josh Kay, another man who came off the bench, trained from distance in the 90th minute to take this stunning equalizer even further. 30 minute period.

Morris got his second goal of the evening after 12 minutes of extra time, and that goal proved enough to send Barnsley into the fourth round, but Barrow will come home very proud of his performance.

Bristol City 0-1 Fulham

Substitute Harry Wilson scored in extra time to give Fulham a 1-0 win in the FA Cup third round at home to Bristol City.

Attackers and defenders alike missed a midfielder’s cross from the right in the 105th minute and slipped into the far post of goalkeeper Max O’Leary.

It was harsh justice on City, who were the better team for most of the match, but failed to take advantage of some excellent opportunities.

Middlesbrough 3-2 Mansfield

Caolan Boyd-Munce celebrates scoring the second goal for Middlesbrough at Mansfield
Caolan Boyd-Munce celebrates scoring the second goal for Middlesbrough at Mansfield

Premier League Mansfield Town suffered a gritty fight in a 3-2 loss at home in the FA Cup third round against Middlesbrough.

Stags dominated the second half and thought they forced overtime when Rhys Oates equalized after just 85 minutes to slip through John-Joe O’Toole’s goal in injury time.

Uchi Ekpiazzo gave Boro the perfect start with a superb solo goal four minutes later before Caolan Boyd-Munce doubled his lead with his first goal in the 14th minute.

The goal that Mansfield threatened finally came after 67 minutes as Oliver Hawkins headed home from six yards, and with five minutes remaining, Reiss Oates turned the goalkeeper to score the equaliser.

But in the added fifth minute, Burrow snatched the ball when Isiah Jones ran from the right and slipped to block it, and O’Toole could only turn the ball into his net.

Peterborough 2-1 Bristol Rovers

Sammie Szmodic
The opening of Sammie Szmodics helped Peterborough reach the fourth round of the FA Cup

The new signing of Bali Mumba made an immediate impact with the first-time winner to lead Peterborough to a 2-1 FA Cup third round win over Bristol Rovers.

The seizure on loan from Norwich was dispatched by coach Darren Ferguson at the break and he responded with a decisive shot in the 63rd minute.

Mumba sprinted forward, alternating passes with Sammie Szmodics and firing in superb style into the bottom corner to ensure the tournament stumblers edged their second-tier guest.

Szmodics had given Peterborough the lead earlier, but Paul Coates equalized with a penalty after the half-hour mark.

What is the date of the draw for the fourth round of the FA Cup?

The draw for the fourth round of the FA Cup will take place on Sunday 9 January after West Ham’s clash with Leeds at the London Stadium at approximately 4.50pm.

Leave a Comment