TIt’s time to make marmalade. I knew who’s making marmalade this year. Very few men do this, especially, I am told, husbands whose wives work. Guys don’t want to do all that slicing oranges. Recipes the lazy way you win with them.
- 1 pound Seville oranges
- 2 pints of water 2 lbs
- granulated sugar (to use dark, rich demerara)
- Wash the oranges and put them in a pot with water. Put the lid on and allow to simmer slowly until the orange is so soft that a blunt wooden skewer or knitting needle will pass easily. Remove the fruit from the pan and chop it into large pieces.
- Reserving the dots, return them to the liquid in the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. This pectin extracts. Drain, and return the liquid, fruit, and sugar to the holding bowl.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved, then boil quickly—allowing the shrimp to rise well in the pan—until the setting point is reached: start testing after 15 minutes.
- When the jam is ready, let it cool for 20 minutes. Stir quickly to distribute the peel, then pour it into hot jars and cover with wax circles. Cover it when it cools down.