Prince Andrew is facing calls to have him stripped of the Duke over allegations of sexual abuse against him.
His public position came under greater scrutiny after the Queen removed his military titles and royal patronage on Thursday.
Prince Charles was reportedly instrumental in the decision to strip Andrew of his roles, which was made ahead of developments in his lawsuit that threaten to damage the monarchy.
A campaign – launched by a prominent member of York Council – seeking to remove Andrew’s nickname, which associates him with the city, followed.
One minister could not confirm whether Andrew would continue to receive state security after calls for him to pay to protect himself.
Still, the ruling earlier this week that the sexual assault case of Virginia Joffrey v. The Duke may proceed to trial, still has serious consequences for Andrew.
Daryl Smalley, a York City Council executive, has launched a campaign to strip him of his duke over “disturbing allegations”.
“York’s unique association with the Crown and the King is an important part of our city’s heritage and history and a source of great pride,” he said.
Although Andrew “remains innocent until proven guilty”, the government and Buckingham Palace “must consider the troubling implications of these allegations moving forward”.
York Central Labor MP Rachel Meskel said it was “unacceptable” for Andrew to keep his title “another day longer”. Andrew could still be prince if he lost his duchy.
The Queen on Thursday stripped Andrew of his royal title and military titles, meaning he can no longer use His Royal Highness’ style.
The Prince of Wales was key to the royal family’s decision to distance themselves from Andrew, according to her the sun.
The newspaper reported that a courtier said: “Prince Charles is the one who effectively led the royal crisis management team to limit the reputational damage caused by Andrew’s disastrous association with Jeffrey Epstein.
“While the Queen has given her views on the subject, she is naturally protective and sensitive to Andrew, who is known as her favorite son.
“Whereas Charles has taken a much tougher stance on Andrew and doesn’t quite sympathize with that of his brother, who considers him up to his neck in a horrific mess of his own making.”
Charles declined to answer questions about his younger brother’s position as he toured a storm-ravaged country estate in Scotland on Friday.
A reporter asked him his opinion but he shrugged off the question and continued to shake hands with some of those who were there to meet him during Storm Arwen’s clarification process.
Activists demanded Andrew pay his security expenses and stop relying on the state in light of the accusations leveled against him.
Graham Smith, who runs the anti-royal group, Republic, said Andrew should lose the state protection privilege because there is no prospect of him returning to his royal duties.
Damian Hinds, the security minister, declined to confirm whether he would continue to receive state protection. He said security forces, like the police, “are doing what is right and proportionate to protect the people of this country.”
“And we don’t publish exactly what covers that.”
Questions about Andrew’s future public standing were raised earlier this week when a US judge rejected an attempt by his lawyer to block Giuffre’s sexual assault case against him.
Ms Joffrey, who claims Andrew sexually assaulted her when she was 17, said she was “delighted” with the verdict and to have had the opportunity to “continue to uncover the truth”.
“My goal has always been to show that the rich and powerful are not above the law and should be held accountable,” she said.