The humanitarian organization said, today, Saturday, that two employees of the International Committee of the Red Cross, who were kidnapped last month in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, have been released.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said in late November that a Congolese national and an international staff member had been kidnapped in North Kivu province, where dozens of armed militias are active.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
“We are relieved that our colleagues are back and we are happy that they are able to return to their families,” Rachel Bernhard, head of the ICRC delegation in the Congo, told Reuters.
“We would like to reiterate that this kidnapping and all other attacks against humanitarian workers could jeopardize activities intended to assist communities severely affected by conflict.”
No further details were provided about the circumstances of the abduction or subsequent liberation.
The United Nations and humanitarian organizations have warned of an increase in attacks on aid workers in eastern Congo. Three UNHCR staff members were injured on Wednesday in North Kivu when their vehicle came under fire.
Read more: China says five citizens kidnapped from mining operation in Congo